Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Book Nine: The Lost Years of Jane Austen


More fittingly called "The Last Years of A Jane Austen Lover" than its current title. This book is one of the worst books I have ever tried to read. It was harder to get through than the Lord of the Rings trilogy I read a few years back. Barbara Ker Wilson floods her writings with information it reads more like a history book than one meant for entertainment.

The writing is so tedious, I found myself skipping more than I read. In the end, I could not even bring myself to read the last chapters. As a reader of many books, I pride myself in always finishing a book, even if I don't like it, just to see how it ends, but this book takes the cake.

Minute, insignificant, minuscule details flood the 354 pages with verbatim. I cannot even recommend this book for my dog to chew it. I lugged the voluminous text around for days, telling myself I could get through it. Alas, I am not even sorry to say I failed. If there was a fire nearby, I would throw it in without a second thought.

3 comments:

  1. That was one of the most scathing, entertaining book reviews I've read in quite a while!! That was stinking hilarious. I'm so not even going to try to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall not wish it on my own worst enemy. I shall wish it be traded on paperback! Of course Twilight would be a better replacement at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I love that you wouldn't even give it to your dogs!

    ReplyDelete