
"Orange is the New Black" By Piper Kerman was exactly the book I was looking for. I wanted to read about a woman's prison experience where she admitted she was guilty and she was from the white, middle class and essentially a good girl (though before she was not). Obviously there were some things in here that I would do, such as drug traffic or strike up a relationship with someone who's been in way too many to begin with (not a good sign), but it fit my criteria.
I was surprised at what a good prison experience Kerman had. It helped that she followed the rules set by the prison and other inmates and of course being in there in the first place isn't good, but you get from many parts of the book that she made the most while she was there. Kerman knew she couldn't avoid the experience so she went through it as best she could. She received a warm welcoming from the other women, an older lady took her under her wing, and she managed. I wish there were more to read about it, so maybe this will blaze the trail for others like her who have stayed in other prisons and perhaps longer sentences.
No comments:
Post a Comment