Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Finances: Before Paycheck One

Yesterday was a good day. My mom, sister, and I purged a bunch of stuff in preparation of the garage becoming a craft haven and it felt good to get rid of things. Two truck fulls! And we are no where near done. We admit to being stuff people. If we get rid of half of what we own, we'll be in a much better position. (We have a lot of craft supplies between the three of us: you name it, we probably have something relating to it...and Mom used to sell on eBay. That being coupled with us being book people, much of what we brought to the second hand shop was books.)

After our second load, I got my running around almost complete. I bought $30.07 worth of gas (meaning $.93 is going into savings thanks to keep the change). Next we went to Micheal's, only because I had a 40% off coupon (yes, these are precious commodities now, so when we get them, we use them). I spent $11.49 ($.51 to savings) on E-6000 glue (I lost my current tube), 2 chocolates (because I was having a sweetie attack, something that does not happen often, since I usually go for salt), pancake mix (it was on sale, and Mom liked it before, so we brought her a goodie home), a pink glo-stick fairy wand for Mom (it was $.99 and it looks like Glenda's wand), and finally a note book (which I used my coupon on and brought it down from $5.00 to $3.00).

Next was Target where I spent $49.81 ($.19 to keep the change...and if my math is wrong, oops? My bank does the math automatically for me. I'm just trying to write this fairly quickly). I bought a new space heater because my last one sparked and smoked two days ago ($10, can't beat that), three things of Target brand Crystal Light Rasperry Ice (it's hard for me to drink straight up water, so this helps me drink about 3 bottles during my 8 hour shift), face astringent (it's expensive! $6.99 and I have to buy a thing like once a month. It doesn't keep my face from breaking out, but it does keep it from breaking out badly and getting really red when I use it on a regular basis), and Dr. Pepper (four 6-pack of bottles for $12. This is my drink to work for the next month, along with the water flavoring).

At Target I also bought myself a small whiteboard ($4.14, cheaper than the $6 Micheal's wanted. Of course, I could have forgone the notebook and gotten a whiteboard for cheaper, but I love me some note books. They even had the fat pens I love in their dollar section and I bought none, because if I bought one, I'd have to get one of each, then I'd want two of each...you get the pic. Last time I bought them out. I love the pens, but they run out of ink so fast, which is why I have a bunch. I do not need them, so I stopped myself, even though they were so pretty...). I got the whiteboard to keep track of which week it is in the year (I'm saying this is week 2 since the year started end of last week), keep track of which paycheck I am on (#1 to come), and to keep a visual of what bills to pay (I have a list in my notebook, but I need visual reassurance, so I will check them off as I pay). My sister also picked out lifesaver gummies and Oreos.

Finally, we went to Safeway, where I bought store brand Hamburger Helper. I have been wanting it so badly. It was $4 for two boxes (and we have no hamburger, so alas, I shall have to wait). That said, I also pulled out money in preparation for my first paycheck and the restrictions to begin (I have already started to not spend as much as I have and restrict myself...I have not been out to eat since last Wednesday and I will not...and I have not stopped at 7-11 for any treats). I pulled $40 to limit myself when I do go out to eat for the next two weeks (not counting this week, it is to start when I get paid on Friday). I am going to do my best and bring my dinner. This week is spaghetti noodles. I also pulled out money to pay my sister for the phone bill this month, which isn't due until 2nd pay check, but she is going to tuck it away so it is almost off my list (it fluctuates each month, so I will owe her between $5-10 more, but I'll get to that when it gets here).

That is it for now. I know I will be making a trip to Best Buy by next weekend. I want to get a little bendable stand for my camera and I have a rewards gift certificate for that (it was sold out online). Depending on how next week goes will depend on when my next finance blog goes. I don't know if I am going to get on here and complain about how hard it is to save money (because it is!) or if I will wait a full week to make an update on what I spent from Friday to Thursday. Once a week blog on Finances sounds good, but again, I don't want to restrict myself.

1 comment: