Saturday, January 9, 2010

On My Way To Resolution One

One of my resolutions was to pay my truck off by the end of January. Yesterday was my first paycheck of the year. And since I couldn't sleep (eyes popped open at 6...why?!?), I decided to take care of business. The first thing I did was pay myself $100. I have only $57 (I think) in savings, so I want to build on that for things like car insurance, vet and doctor visits, etc. I would eventually like to be able to rely on my savings so if I need to, can take time off work without worrying if I will have enough to pay my bills. I have also learned if I do not pay myself first, I will not put that money into savings (and I read that is the first thing anyone should do. That way it's gone and will not be relied on).

Then I paid both my student loans. I usually spread those over two checks due to their due dates being at different times of the month, but it does not really matter since I make sure all my payments are paid one month in advance. This gives me peace of mind in case something happens and I need some extra time. Finally, I put $306 toward my truck (I was going to pay $300, but it said the maximum I could pay was $306 and some change, so I figured what the heck). Since there was a cap on how much I could pay, I will be making another payment when it clears. It will be between $50-100, depending on if I use all my money allotted for gas and food. Now, with that $306 payment, I now owe only $433 and some change on my truck. With the next check, I will owe a lot more on my truck than I put on it this check, but my bills do not amount to as much as I paid this month, so I am covered.

I am excited too be on my way! If I stick with this, I can definitely see a change by the end of the year. Which will bring some much needed peace of mind since I tend to obsess and stress over every little detail, which I will you, I do every month until my second paycheck arrives and I make the next month's payments. Then I don't start stressing until the week before I get my first check of that next month. So at least I have a week where I am stress free from money related issues (I guess).

I wish I could look into the future and see where I am in March. Not that I want it to come quickly because my days off will be changing to Wednesday and Thursday off (ewww! I know!), but I want to see if I've finally straightened myself up financially like I want to. I put so much work into making a budget every few months, that this time I just need to save me some time and stick with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment