Sunday, July 18, 2010

Book 16: Indivisible By Two


It's hard to find someone who isn't fascinated by twins, even when only faced with a pair. Last year, I even read a book on raising twins. Of course, my interest lies with the fact that I am an identical twin. In "Indivisible by Two: Lives of Extraordinary Twins" Nancy Segal delves into the lives of not only twins, but triplets and quads.

In the twin populous, it's not unusual to just be twins. Segal tells the stories of the more interesting ones. Twins knowingly adopted into separate families who knew about the other twin, quadruplets that are two sets of identical twins, and a set who survived Mengele's experiments during the holocaust.

There is a set of twins who married a set of twins, a set where one was raised by a Jew and the other a Nazi, twins who met each other after being adopted birth and who didn't click, twins raised apart who are both firefighters, and a set of twins where one had a sex change. Each story was interesting and unique in its own right.

The author did tend to stuff as many things into one paragraph as she could and the writing could have been better, but the stories themselves were so fascinating for me, that I could care less if it was written in list format; I'd still read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment