Sunday, July 4, 2010

Peek-A-Boo!

Are you sitting down? Good. I actually crafted today! I know, knock me over with a feather! I was supposed to sew two aprons for a leukemia auction a friend is involved in, but I had these curtains brewing in my head for the last month, so I had to get them out of the way first. That way I'll actually enjoy making the aprons (yes, I will be staying up late to get them made by work on Monday). Before I made them, my sister approved the fabric (nothing like making something then having someone exclaim, "Why'd you choose that pattern?!?").

It is a pattern made of clovers and bees. The background colors are blue and yellow. I started out wanting to make both pieces look like the top, but I didn't have enough fabric. I could have done the top to the bottom, but it would have come out looking short, like I didn't have enough fabric. D'rr.

I had just enough yellow fabric to make tabs (though I am not a fan of tabbed curtains). I am not sure if you can tell, but it is pleated between the tabs. I think it came out well. I would like to put big buttons on the bottom of the tabs. I did not currently have any buttons that were the right size (what with all my stuff being packed away and all). I also wanted to get them hung so my sister and mother could see them before they went to bed. I worked hard on them. I wanted to see their faces.

I put a lot of work into these curtains. Much more than I thought they would be. I thought I would be basically sewing a square. That didn't happen. On the top, when I sewed the different colored panels together, I top stitched on either side of the seam. I did not do that on the bottom, even though it is made up of three panels, because I didn't want to bring attention to the fact it wasn't one big piece.

I definitely was a busy little bee! Hopefully we can find things to match the color palette. The three of us keep changing our minds in what we want done to the bathroom, that I hope having handmade curtains in it will keep it decided. How many hours did this take? Probably three. I didn't quite pay attention to the time I started, only when I ended. The top piece took the most time. The bottom piece was finished in no time flat. It's a basic big rectangular piece with tabs on it. I almost finished it without having to refill my bobbin (needed just enough to go across the top to hold the pleats in).

My next project will be those darn aprons.

No comments:

Post a Comment